Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Craft Review: Family Fun Magazine "Keep It Under Your Cap"

As soon as I saw this Recycling Craft last year in Family Fun April 2010, I started saving up bottle caps and looking for little embellishments. Since then we've done this project several times making both magnets and necklaces. We made some more yesterday, so I thought I'd share this fun project with you.


You'll need undamaged bottle caps (we use the twist-off ones from bottles of IBC Root Beer), decorative paper, packing tape, tacky glue, clear sealant, button magnets, and embellishments...jewels, sequins, rhinestones, beads, brads (with the brad part removed), small stickers, googly eyes, etc.

To begin, cut a 1" circle from your paper and cover both sides with
clear packing tape. Then cut it out again. The tape protects the paper
from discoloring over time.
I used my 1" circle punch. If you don't have one, you can use a quarter as a template. Glue your paper circle inside the cap. Now, add your embellishments. Just use a bit of tacky glue to keep everything in place as you work. I use an old pair of tweezers to help arrange everything like I want it, because my fingers always seem to get in the way. Now if you do bring out the tweezers, you might need one for each child, as that will be their favorite part.

The scrapbooking section of the craft store is a great
place to find fun little embellishments.
Once everything is in place and the glue is dry,
brush on a generous coat of clear sealant. I used
Collage Pauge Instant Decoupage Glossy.
I use a small paint brush to spread the sealant into all the little pockets that can be created by the various embellishments. Allow to dry overnight.

Finally, add a button magnet with tacky glue,
or use E-6000 and add a necklace bail plate.



May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment