Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, March 14, 2011

Fabric Flower Tutorial - CHEYENNE

Some time ago, I purchased a fabric flower headband for my daughter. Yesterday as I was looking at the flower, I said to myself... I can make this!! So what follows is the outline of how I made my version of this flower...
The pink is the purchased flower, the green is the one I made.

I started by choosing my fabric... this green fabric is a firmer fabric that I already knew would not curl up when I singed the edges. I then made two different card stock templates:
One template in the shape of an elongated heart... I cut 20.
Second template is a shortened heart,
but almost straight across the top... I cut 4.
After I cut out all the pieces, I lightly singed the edges. I did not want
them to curl, only to seal the fabric to prevent fraying.
I set aside the four smaller pieces.
For the 20 longer pieces, I curled the sides around to the front.
I decided I needed to sew this flower instead of glue. I used 2 strands
of embroidery thread and placed a single stitch at the bottom
of each petal to hold the folds in place.
I chained ten of the petals together then brought them into a circle by chaining
the first petal to the tenth before I knotted and cut my thread.
I did the same with the second group of ten,
and now there are two of these.
I flipped one of them over and glued it to a felt circle.
Then I glued the second set of ten petals on top of the first set
of ten petals, staggering the petals a bit.
For the four smaller petals, I stitched them together in a four-leaf clover pattern.
Then I sewed on a large center bead.
And finally I sewed the center to the rest, bringing the thread down through that
felt circle and pulling it tight so the bead would be seeded into the flower.
This flower would look great on a stretchy headband,
a standard headband, a hat, or by itself.
I'll probably put it on an alligator clip to be used on a hat or by itself.

I make and sell fabric flower hair accessories and rings. You can check out my websites to see all of my work... http://jennsbabytags.tripod.com/http://www.etsy.com/shop/jenilynn73, and http://www.facebook.com/JennsBabyTags.






"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." Psalm 46:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment