Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Craft Review: Spoonful's Curly Birds

Today we had my daughter's 10th birthday party. She had a Peacock theme, and we decorated in blue, green and peacock feathers. She didn't want cake, so I made a big Chocolate Chip Cookie Peacock "Cake" for her.


It's 3-D. The body is another cookie setting on top of the feathers. It looked beautiful and tasted yummy, too. I have a feeling we've started a new birthday tradition when it comes to cake.
______

For a party craft, we made Curly Birds from Spoonful. One girl at the party told me several times how much she loved making her bird, a sentiment shared by several of the kids. So I think that means we have a winner!


Click here for instructions on making these paper birds.

My only suggestion in regard to the instructions is that you glue the tail feathers to the body first, then glue the head in the appropriate place. I made my bird the night before the party as a sample for the kids to see, and having the tail in the right place first makes it easier to judge the appropriate location of the head.

I cut all the paper strips the night before to cut down on the time needed for the activity. The younger kids needed a little extra assistance assembling their birds, but for the most part, once I showed what to do as we went along, each kid was able to work on his/her own. I had to help a couple cut the tail feathers, so for younger kids, be prepared to pre-cut the triangle portion of the feathers (and beak), or draw cut lines for them to follow.


Our flock of birds turned out VERY cute, and several of the kids even used scraps left from cutting the beaks to make feet.




The one thing I ask of the Lord - the thing I seek most - is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord's perfections and meditating in His Temple. Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment