Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, May 30, 2011

Craft Review: Family Fun Magazine "Sandy Vases"

We are finally doing the Earth Day Craft, "Sandy Vases," from the April 2011 issue of Family Fun Magazine. Because I had just taken my glass to the recycling place, we had to wait for the accumulation of a few bottles before we could do it. And I will admit I purchased a four-pack of Yoo-hoos so we could use the bottles when the drink was gone. This is a pretty easy project, and both my girls enjoyed doing it.

You'll need some glass bottles, old craft paint brushes, newspaper, tacky glue,
and colored sand. Dilute 1/4 cup of tacky glue with a teaspoon of water.
Working over newspaper, brush glue onto your glass bottle.
It's important to keep it thinned out a bit... not too clumpy.
Sprinkle sand on the glue, knocking off the excess. We worked
this part over our sandbox, so as not to waste the excess.
You can do solid colored bottles, or make multi-colored designs.
This is what your sandbox will look like when you are finished.
And this is what your bottles might look like.
My question is this... when the glue is dry, is it possible to touch or move your new vase without getting sand all over the place? As soon as the glue is dry, I will let you know.

K. It's dry. I tapped each vase on the deck to knock off any extra excess sand. While I feel it might be important to always pick them up from a place where there is no sand, they do seem pretty stable once they're dry. Some sand may continue to fall off from time to time, but I don't think it's more than I can handle.





"How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!" Psalm 139: 17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment