Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

If the Shoe Fits... Fabric Scrap Flip-Flops


It's been more than a year since I snagged this free idea from the craft section at Hobby Lobby. I don't know why it took me so long to do it, because while a bit time-consuming, the hardest part about this activity is picking out flip-flops and coordinating bandanas.

You will need a pair of flip-flops, coordinating bandanas,
and pinking shears.
For small or medium flip-flops, choose 2 bandanas. They can be two coordinating colors, or two of the same color. For large flip-flops, choose 3 bandanas. Again, they can be three coordinating colors, or three of the same. I found our bandanas in the craft section at Hobby Lobby, not far from the flip-flops. The girls loved being able to pick out their own flip-flops and bandanas.

With the pinking shears, cut off the hemmed edges
of each bandana.
Again with pinking shears, cut 1" x 8" strips from the bandanas.
Wrap the pieces around the straps and tie a knot.
I double knotted. Alternate the colors and push
them close together for extra fullness.
My 4-year-old has not yet learned to tie, and she wasn't
grasping the concept today, so I finished hers for her.
She didn't seem to mind and just played with the fabric
while I worked.
My 7-year-old was able to do hers by herself (after I cut
her strips). I did go back in on hers and push them together
and add more strips after she was done. She said
she wanted hers fuller like mine were.
Repeat the process on the other flip-flop,
and you're done!
They will be so fun to wear... but I don't want to get them dirty!
That's the trouble with fancy shoes.
I think you could easily do this project with whatever scrap fabric you might have about, if you don't want to get bandanas. I just counted about 60 strips on ONE flip-flop (the adult one), just to give you an idea.



For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. Ephesians 6:15

No comments:

Post a Comment