Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Friday, December 23, 2011

Craft Review: Cozy Bird Cottage

This craft comes from the December/January 2012 Special Holiday Issue of FamilyFun. I really love birdhouses, so of course this project caught my eye. We started out by taking a fun, relaxing nature walk in the woods behind our house to collect materials to decorate our birdhouses. Things like small twigs, pine cones, bark, moss, acorn caps, even tiny rocks. We found most of what we needed right in our own yard, but it was fun to take the walk in the woods anyway, especially on such a pleasant final day of Autumn.

For this project, you will need a small wooden birdhouse,
painted white, tacky glue and/or glue dots, and the items
collected on your nature walk.
Decorate your birdhouse with the collected natural materials,
in the same way you might decorate a gingerbread
house. Use tacky glue for the light weight items, and
glue dots for the heavier items.
This is the birdhouse I made.
My 7 year old made this one.
My 5 year old made this one.
Both of my girls found this project a tad frustrating. I would expect that from my 5-year-old, as she's not as into the projects we do. She asked me for a lot of help and I glued much of it for her as she told me where to put things. But my 7-year-old goes after these projects with much more gusto, and usually desires much perfection. Don't know where she gets that... She tried several different things on her roof and was becoming frustrated that the items were not adhering as she desired. For that matter, I changed out my roof's materials about 3 times as well, minus the frustration. Finally I suggested she cover the roof with the moss, and with that she was able to finish the project without much more trouble. With that said, I do not think this a project for young children, though they will certainly enjoy collecting materials!







The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalm 19: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment