Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Friday, April 6, 2012

Nature is our Canvas

A few weeks ago we had a large oak tree cut down. Part of it was dead and with every storm we held our breath that it might not fall. When the work crew left, we had a huge pile of mulch left from the stump, so the girls and I went out to spread it around to some of the other gardens in the yard. As we worked, we found some wedge pieces that we decided would be perfect for painting.

My oldest daughter is very sentimental about things like this, wanting to keep leaves and branches and other odd things to "remember" it by. This seemed like the perfect way to help her do that and enjoy a fun art project, too.
Three rescued wedges.
To start, I sealed the wood with Kilz. I worked on this
several days in advance so it would be dry and ready
when the girls were ready to paint.
My oldest thought the wedges looked like watermelon,
so that's what she painted on her piece.
My youngest also painted a watermelon on one side of her
wedge. On the other side of her wedge she painted an ocean scene.
I think she likes her ocean best. She also ripped all of the bark from her piece.
I painted a flower on one side of my wedge, and in this
photo you can see my younger daughter's ocean scene.
I painted a tree on the other side of my wedge.
Now each wedge will just need some clear sealer to protect our art. What a fun day of painting we had, and except for the brushes and paint that I already had in the closet, it didn't cost us a thing... well that is if we don't talk about what it cost to take down the tree in the first place.









Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither — whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment