Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, April 30, 2012

Rain by the Barrel

Last spring I up-cycled an old outdoor trash can that was no longer being used for trash. Actually, it hadn't been used for anything in years. I used it to catch rain water coming off our deck's tin roof to water the flowers and potted plants in the yard and on the deck. But I had one problem.

Mosquitoes. They really liked my rain barrel.

If I was going to continue to catch rain water to water our plants and help ease our water bill, I had to come up with a way to do it without also growing those pesky mosquitoes, too.


I decided to cover the top of the can with mosquito net, but I didn't want to have to remove the net every time I wanted to get water out of the can. So I installed a tap. Basically, it's a PVC straight valve, or something like that. I cut a hole in the can as small as it could be and still be able to push the valve through the hole, then I sealed around it on the inside and outside of the can with silicone. When I need water, I just turn the knob and water flows. The water pressure is not great, but it gets the job done.


I searched for mosquito netting fabric but my fabric store is currently out of stock, so in the meantime, I purchased 1 yard of tulle. I folded the tulle in half and used a bungee cord to secure it over the opening in the trash can. Water can get in, but mosquitoes should not. I hope. As soon as I am able, I do plan to replace the tulle with mosquito net.


I really love the idea that I can collect a little bit of rain and use it on a hot, parched day in the gardens. And just maybe I can do that now without the mosquito problem.

If I can get my hands on another old trash can, I'd like to make a second rain barrel. There's still a lot of water that just lands in those rocks.










The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. Isaiah 55:10

No comments:

Post a Comment