Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Friday, June 17, 2011

Don't Forget Father's Day

Father's Day is this Sunday, June 19. At our house, we've never purchased big gifts for Dad for Father's Day (or for Mom for Mother's Day). All the retailers out there try to make us think that's how you tell someone you love and appreciate them, with an expensive gift. But around here, we just like to spend the day together, as a family, even if it's just doing the same thing we do every Sunday. 

Since we're too far away to spend the day with my Dad, he'll get a card in the mail and a phone call. And this will be the first Father's Day without my Father-in-Law. But I do want our daughters to be able to tell their Daddy how much they love him in some special way, and that's usually by making something for him. 

I think my personal favorite thing we've done for Father's Day, was the year we made him a t-shirt. I used a little fabric paint and we put the girls' hand prints on the shirt under the word "Daddy". It's still one of his favorite shirts to wear around the house.

Then one year I found some greeting cards that were much sturdier than the average card. The inside was a picture frame. I bought two of them. In one card, I put a picture of him with our oldest and in the other I put a picture of him with our youngest. They are still displayed in his office at work. Though we didn't actually make something that year, the pictures and the memory they represent are priceless.

This year I found tiny paint canvases and easels at Joann's. Yesterday they painted tiny masterpieces for him. Today we'll make him some cards. I love the age they are now because they love to make things, and he knows they spent time and put thought into what they made. And they did it just for him.

That's worth so much more that any gift we could buy.



See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God. – 1 John 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment