Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Craft Project: Bottle Cap Snowman

My daughter's second grade class is having Ornament Day next Wednesday. Her teacher invited parents to come and help the children make some ornaments to take home, and invited those who could to also provide the supplies so each child could make one ornament. Of course this is right down my alley, and my first thought was that I needed to count my stash of bottle caps. And I had JUST enough! Recently I found a Bottle Cap Snowman idea on Pinterest, pinned from whatilivefor.net, and I thought it would be the perfect thing for the kids to make.

I made one ahead of time so the kids could have one to look at.

Supplies needed for this project are 3 bottle caps per snowman,
white paint, Sharpies, ribbon, hot glue.
Begin by painting the inside of each clean, dry bottle cap.
You may need to apply more than one coat. I have done
this step ahead of time for the kids in my daughter's class
because they won't have time to let the paint dry before
drawing their snowman's face.
If you want to have a glossy finish, do it now. For my sample snowman, I drew the face on first with a Sharpie, and then added a glossy finish. Even though more than 12 hours had passed since drawing the face, the Sharpie still smeared with the gloss coat. So... I painted over that face and started again.

When the paint/glossy finish is dry, turn the bottle caps
over and hot glue the ribbon to the caps as shown, leaving
a bit of space between them so the ribbon will show. Use any
color ribbon to give your snowman some color and personality.
I am providing the kids a couple different colors to choose
from: hot pink, blue, green, and red.
And do be sure to do this step before drawing the face. It is much easier to draw the face once the caps are attached to the ribbon, than it is to try to make sure your face and buttons are, and stay, straight as you glue. Also, hot glue seems to be the best option. I used tacky glue on my first snowman, and it did not hold the bottle caps securely enough (and dried slowly). But be ready, the hot glue will dry very fast, especially if you have a low temp gun like I do. And of course, this will need to be highly supervised during our class Ornament Day.

When the glue is dry, turn your snowman
over and use colorful Sharpies to draw a face
in the top cap and some buttons in the
middle cap. I'm providing various colors for the kids
so they can choose eye and button color to their liking.
You can see when I repainted my snowman,
I also changed the color of the ribbon from
green to hot pink.

I give this a super cute snowman two thumbs up. I really hope the kids like it, too.








Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. Isaiah 1:18

No comments:

Post a Comment