Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Craft Review: Crayon Heart Valentine Card

If you're on Pinterest, you've probably seen this Crayon Heart Valentine Card idea. It's also at FamilyFun. My girls and I made these together for their class Valentine Card exchange. It's a great way to recycle those well used and broken crayons you have hiding in a box.

You need crayons... I found that it's best to choose a variety of lighter colors (lime green instead of hunter, sky blue instead of navy, etc) and go easy on blacks and other really dark colors. You also need some cardstock, double-sided foam tape, and a heart-shaped mini muffin pan. I found a silicone pan at Joann's.
Remove the paper from the crayons and chop them into small pieces and put them in the pan cups, about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Place them in a 230-250 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut 3-inch and 3-1/2 inch circles from cardstock and glue the smaller circle to the larger circle. Write your Valentine message on the front and your "To/From" on the back. When your crayon hearts are cool, use the double-sided tape to attach the heart to the center of the card.
We had a bit of difficulty with attaching our hearts... our tape was too thin and we had to double up, even triple up the pieces to make it thicker. I guess I didn't find the right stuff.

Message ideas include:
  • You color my world
  • Valentine, you make my heart melt
  • Have a happy Valentine's Day, for "crayon" out loud! 
My daughter thought the third message was hilarious. She personally wrote all the messages on her own cards. I wrote the messages for my younger daughter, and she wrote the name of her school-mate and signed her own name.

Of course, recipients can color with their new heart shaped crayons, and they'll be surprised by the colors that comes from it.









"For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation." Psalm 100:5

No comments:

Post a Comment