Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Craft Review: Busy Kids' Kids Camp Modeling Clay

Whew! It has been a busy summer! One might think with the kids home from school, we might be spending extra time on projects at our house, and that you might be seeing more blogs from me. But that has certainly not been the case.

The other day the girls and I were at Jo-Ann and my daughter saw this modeling clay on the clearance rack and really wanted to try it.


Now I admit I've not worked a lot with clay, and I don't know much about what's good clay and what's not. But I am really disappointed with this particular product. And I'm really glad we didn't pay full price for the stuff.

That being said, my daughter enjoyed making her project. She put some time into it, and she was proud at the results. But her creation has not kept its form as it dries. At first she was really upset. But she's the kind that can find good in things.


We only purchased two colors. Pink and black. She made a pig. She did a great job! When she first completed him, he was much bigger than this (I didn't get a picture right away) - his body about double what you see in the above picture. The instructions say the clay should air dry - drying to the touch overnight and completely in 72 hours, depending on the thickness of the completed project.

But while we wait for him to dry, his body has succumbed to gravity and we noticed he was smashing into the table. I remember hearing my daughter exclaim "Mommy! He's MELTING!!" Even though he was still pretty soft at that point, we weren't able to fix him without the clay cracking.


Because of the way he was drying and shrinking and smashing, I suggested to my daughter that we place him on one of the higher shelves in her room, like he's looking down at her, and when she looks up at him she can actually see his face. She thought that was a great idea and we've placed him there to finish drying.

So if you're looking for modeling clay to keep little hands (ages 3+) busy on a rainy day, but you're not particular about keeping the project (you can put the clay back in the resealable bag to reuse on a different rainy day), then this clay might work for you. But it's definitely not made for a large creation. If your child is wanting to create something permanent, you might want to get regular modeling clay, and not this Kids Camp stuff.






And yet, LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We are all formed by your hand. Isaiah 64:8 


No comments:

Post a Comment