Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Craft Review: Jo-Ann's Woven Tic-Tac-Toe Rug

My daughter received a weaving loom for her birthday, and as a result has created some hot pads to share. Then I found a craft idea at Jo-Ann Fabrics that would put those hot pads to a cool new use. A Tic-Tac-Toe Rug.


Mom's personal hot pad.

The idea is to make 9 hot pads. It was suggested that we use only two colors per square with an option to make the center square more abstract using all the colors. So that's what we did. Our center square was made from all colors, the other 8 squares using only 2 colors each. We also used 4 different patterns, so that there might be 2 squares using the same pattern, but with different colors, so that each square is somehow different. Lay out the 9 finished squares to create a 3 by 3 block and use extra loom loops to weave the pieces together.




If you can find wooden letters, 5 each of an X and an O, that would be ideal. Paint them and you're ready for a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. As luck would have it, Jo-Ann's did not have 5 wooden X's or 5 wooden O's for me to purchase on the particular day that I was in the store, and I really didn't want to run from store to store looking... so I got 5 stars and 5 flowers instead. And they were cheaper than the letters anyway. My kids don't seem to mind. They helped do the painting and we've played countless games already.


As we were making our squares, I came across a different pattern that gave me another idea...


Mini Tic-Tac-Toe using a single hot pad!
To achieve this pattern, choose 6 loops from 6 different colors.
Place all six loops of color 1 together, then color 2,
then color 3. Start weaving all 6 loops of color 4 across,
then color 5, then color 6.


Once the hot pad is finished, you'll have your 9 distinct blocks. Find and paint small wooden pieces for your X's and O's. I used stars and circles because I couldn't find the letters I was looking for, at least not without purchasing 5 complete alphabet sets. 


These little Tic-Tac-Toe games would be perfect to take on the road.








May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment