Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Friday, January 13, 2012

Craft Review: Recycling Craft - Carton Cuties

Today is our first "snow" day of 2012, and what am I thinking about? Butterflies. Well in our defense, it's just a dusting, not enough and too dusty for a snowman. We did, however, have a brief snow-dust fight. 

This recycling craft was in the April 2010 edition of FamilyFun, and I guess I've been holding onto it for the perfect day. Like today.
For this craft, you'll need an egg carton, Mod Podge or white glue,
colored tissue paper, glitter, and wire.
My egg carton is actually the clear plastic lid of a large 30-egg carton. I used Collage Pauge, but you can use watered-down white glue if it's what you have on hand.
Spread glue onto a section of the egg carton,
preferably the section between two eggs.
Cover the glue with torn bits of tissue paper, then apply another
layer of the glue.
My girls enjoyed getting creative with colors, and what can be better than tearing up paper?
Add in some glitter. This step is not a part of FamilyFun's craft.
We just decided it needed some extra bling.
Allow all the glue to dry. Now might be a good time to take a lunch or snack break, or go play in the snow, depending on how much time you might need for it to get good and dry.
When dry, draw a butterfly shape centered between the
carton cups. You can use a pencil, but I needed you to see
the drawing in my photo.
Carefully cut along your drawn lines. If you centered your
butterfly between egg cups, your butterfly will have a nice
3D shape
If you like you can add some antennae for your butterflies. Fold a thin strip of black card stock in half, then curl and trim the ends into points. Attach the antennae with tacky glue. I actually left this part out on ours.
With clear tape, mount your butterflies
to lengths of 18-gauge aluminum wire.
I used green floral wire, not sure of the gauge. I curled and twisted the wire and placed them in a recycled bottle vase like a floral display. I have them as the centerpiece at our kitchen table. A little bit of Spring on this snowy day.









The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him. Proverbs 20:7

No comments:

Post a Comment