Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Recycle That Lunchbox

Against my better judgement, I bought my girls pretty embroidered overpriced lunchboxes from a little embroidery shop down the road. I convinced myself that they would be able to use them for more than one school year. But... hello? We're talking about a first grader and a preschooler. Actually, my youngest didn't use hers last year, and hasn't used it much this year, either. But for my oldest, hers lasted through her first grade year and about half way through her second grade year. After such use, the inside silver insulating lining is torn, and numerous spills and wet places have caused what appears to be mildew to show in the seams of the bag.

My oldest DOES NOT like to throw things away. If she saw me tossing her lunchbox, she would be devastated. With a capital D. In order to effectively throw it out, I'd have to wrap it in layers of plastic bags and hide it at the bottom of the trash can, or take it to a public dumpster... and even then she would eventually start asking what happened to it. And then she would cry. But even I was having a hard time parting with the pink and green polka-dotted bag with her name embroidered on it.

My husband suggested I cut out the part with her name on it and use it somewhere. And that statement got the ball rolling. Time to refurbish. After all, the outside of the bag wasn't in bad shape. And it has a built in zipper pocket. I think I can turn this into a small coin purse.

This is what it looked like before. Sort of.
Actually I'd already cut out both panels
as I didn't think to take a picture before I
started cutting.
Back panel with the zipper pocket.
Two cut panels side by side. I also cut off the handles. I'm not
sure how I'm going to do that part yet.

Have I ever mentioned I am not a seamstress? I have a sewing machine. I sew small blankets. You know, squarish stuff. Mom tried to teach me to sew when I was a kid, but I took no interest... until I was about 32 and decided I wanted to sew a taggie blanket for my baby. It's a good thing this will be squarish.

Back to the handles. I decided to make a small corner loop.
Finished! My daughter was THRILLED! She filled up the
little pocket with her lip balm stuff, and just kept saying
over and over how neat she thought it was.
Back side with the pocket.
It was such a hit, my little one came to me and asked me to make one for her from her lunchbox.











See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. Matthew 18:10

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I was wondering what was wrong w/ it as a lunch box until I re-read and saw what you said about the inside. :)

    ReplyDelete