Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Birthday Party Paint Studio

My oldest will officially turn 8 in about an hour. I'm not sure where these past 8 years have gone. Wasn't it was just yesterday we were checking into the hospital? Just yesterday I met her for the very first time, so tiny and new?

Now she's 8. And today we celebrated with a Paint Studio Party.


I looked into having a "professional" painting party, by either bringing one to our house, or having it at a different location, but we just couldn't pull off the cost of that kind of party. So we had our own. I personally have never attended such a party, so I really had no clue what I was doing, and we just made it up as we went along.


Before the party, I purchased a small 8x10 canvas for each guest and drew the same picture onto each one, and I made one for myself, too.


I set up the tables so each child could see my canvas on an easel (which is off to the right of the photo), with the idea that we would paint together. But once we got going, the kids just took off painting their pictures and had a great time.

I used egg carton cups so each child could have access to
their own individual paint.

I had everyone start their paintings by coloring the background blue. We all did that part first. From there they could choose any color for the vase and flowers, and of course green for the stems and leaves.

We had one boy in our group, and I didn't
think he would want to paint flowers,
so I drew a dinosaur for him to paint.


Our finished masterpieces, each one unique. Some chose different colors for each of their flowers, some chose to decorate their vase. They may have started out with the same canvas, but they each ended with something as different as each one of them.

I decorated the cake to match our paintings

All in all, it was an easy party. I think I could have skipped the whole idea of a class/instructor set-up and just let them paint. Maybe I could even have skipped drawing a picture on the canvas and just let them free hand it and paint whatever they wanted. 

Don't think that you have to be an artist to have a Paint Studio Party. You just need to provide the canvas, the brushes, and the paint. The kids will do the rest.


Happy Birthday, baby girl. I love you so much and I'm so proud of who you are becoming.






For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 


No comments:

Post a Comment