Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Lace Crown Project

My cousin recently asked me if I could make some crowns for her. She showed me a picture of one similar to what she was looking for. So today I've set out making crowns.


I purchased pieces of lacy trim, that when formed into a circle would look like a crown. I also purchased fabric stiffener and silver glitter fabric paint. I would later need to also get grey fabric paint, because the silver glitter paint was just glitter, and I ended up with a white glittery crown.


I needed to make 3 crown sizes, adult/large child, small child/toddler, and infant. So I cut 20 inches for the large, 17 inches for the medium, and 14 inches for the small. I formed them into a circle with a small bit of overlap and stitched them together.


For the large crown, I covered my "head model" in plastic wrap to serve as a mold to make the crown shape. I put some of the fabric stiffener into a baggie and worked the stiffener through the lace until it was saturated. Then I pressed out the excess with my fingers and placed the crown on the head, upside down so the points would dry straight.

As it dried, I tried to keep the excess drips cleaned
so they wouldn't pool at the points.
When it was dry, I removed it from the mold and painted it
grey, then painted on a layer of the glitter paint.

Before I added the other two crowns to the stiffener, I mixed in the grey paint and the glitter to the baggie. This tinted the color of the stiffener and when it was dry, it would already be painted.

I used my blender as a mold for the smallest crown,
covered in plastic first, of course.
The finished small crown.
I used a bowl for the medium crown. The cool part about this
one is the shape of the bowl gave the crown a flared out look.
The finished medium crown with the flared points.
I also found some gold lace. I didn't have to paint or
glitter this one because it was already gold with
glitter flecks. Perfect for a crown.
This trim piece was already silver, so I didn't have to paint
this one either. This crown might be perfect for a Prince.








And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.  2 Timothy 4:8

2 comments: