Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, December 16, 2013

Our Clay Ornament Fail, Sort Of

Each year for Christmas, we make something to give as a gift for friends, family and teachers. Sometimes it's something we bake, sometimes an ornament we make. When I think about the clay ornaments we made this year, this is how I feel...



I guess they weren't all THAT bad, but they certainly didn't turn out as amazing as I had imagined. Really... my calling it a fail was simply because the result didn't meet my own personal expectations. We still gave the best ones as gifts, so it really wasn't a complete fail.

These are the clay ornaments we tried to make - click the link for instructions if this looks like something you'd like to try. They are just so plain and simple and I really loved them. Or I love hers. Hers look so perfectly round and perfectly stamped and perfect.



I have never really worked with this type of clay before (oven bake clay). My older daughter didn't like the feel of the clay in her hands, so she did not stick with the project. My younger daughter and my neighbor's granddaughter who happened to be over stuck with the project and helped roll, cut and stamp ornaments. They enjoyed it, so I guess that's the important part.

I was disappointed to discover that I ruined my pastry roller. If you decide to work with this type of clay, do not use utensils you want to continue to use for food. The blogger did not mention that in her post (and it was not mentioned on the clay packaging), but I noticed later that it was mentioned down in the comments, which I did not read until after we'd done it. Really... I'm not disappointed. I'm kinda mad. But it's just a pastry roller and not worth the effort of being mad.


So these are some of ours. Actually they're the worst of ours, because I have already given away the best of them. Some of them are very obviously not the same thickness around. Some of them have the stamp too light, or pushed in too heavy. I guess we didn't HAVE to bake all of them, because we could clearly see how they would turn out. Baking them didn't change how they looked. So I guess we could have scrapped some of them and started over. And in some cases we did.

I know... I'm being too hard on myself. And I wanted it to be a project the girls helped me with, not a project by myself simply so they could meet my personal level of perfection. But I did have quite a few that I didn't feel were okay to give as gifts.



However, these three were perhaps my favorite, so they ended up on my tree. We were running out of clay and instead of cutting perfect circles (for the two on the left), I just slapped a little clay on the table and stamped it. Strange how these imperfect ones became my favorite. Maybe we should have skipped the round cookie cutter and done them all that way. 

The one on the right was a bigger circle with a larger stamp, and I thought it turned out pretty nice, too. These were the kind we gave away.

Merry Christmas!






How blessed is God! And what a blessing he is! He’s the Father of our Master, Jesus Christ, and takes us to the high places of blessing in him. Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son. Ephesians 1:4-6

 

No comments:

Post a Comment