Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Adorable Snowman Craft Projects

Christmas Break is here, and that means Christmas baking and crafting at our house. Today we made snowmen. Not the kind involving snow. After all, it was just 70 degrees today.

No. We made ours with paint.

I found these two ideas on Pinterest, and my girls loved the first one best.

FLOWER POT SNOWMAN


I didn't have all the supplies on hand for these cuties, so when I stopped to pick up some flower pots and heads at Hobby Lobby, I couldn't find the size of terra cotta pots I wanted. But I did find a package of small wooden flower pots that were the perfect size and match for the package of wooden balls. Of course the balls have a flattened bottom making them set easily atop the pot.

We used a stash of baby socks for the hats, ribbon for the scarves, and small buttons, all of which I had already in my craft closet. The girls and I painted the pots and balls white, then painted the eyes, nose and mouths. 

Tip: We used the wrong end of the paint brush to make dots for the eyes and mouth.

We made the hats by cutting the foot from the sock and tying at the top to form into a knit hat. We tied the ribbon around the neck for the scarf and glued on the buttons.

It was an easy and fun project for our rainy Saturday afternoon.


When I was at Hobby Lobby looking for the items for the above project, I also found a package of wooden spools.

How did I not know they sold these things??

I remembered seeing a project using spools for snowmen ornaments and I couldn't resist.

WOODEN SPOOL SNOWMEN


I'm not totally sure why, but I really like the spool projects I see on Pinterest. And this one is super adorable. We painted the spools white and then I distressed mine with sandpaper. The girls didn't want to do that part on theirs. We used ribbon to thread the spools.

Tip: Wider ribbon works best.

Each ribbon is knotted at the bottom of the ribbon and then knotted again just under the bottom spool, knotted between each spool and finally knotted above the top spool. Any extra ribbon can be used to create a loop for hanging on the tree.

Finally we painted our faces and buttons.

If the ribbon is too narrow, the knots may not be big enough to hold the spools in place. For one of our snowmen, I had to add a bit of glue to keep the spools between the knots. This may also be necessary if the spools want to rotate around the ribbon instead of staying lined up with each other.



He's a perfect fit with the other ornaments on our tree.

Merry Christmas, 2013! And may you have a blessed 2014.





For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment