Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, February 28, 2011

Painting Wallflowers

A year ago we purchased a loft bed and moved our older daughter from her full-size bed up to the top bunk of the loft, and moved our younger daughter from her toddler bed to the full-size bed under the loft. This meant I got to have some extra fun and buy new bedspreads! I shopped at Overstock and found a bedspread we all liked. We purchased the two different sizes and the required number of shams, but at Overstock, we didn't have choice of much else as far as coordinating things for their room, so we coordinated with color, mostly hot pink. Thankfully, we found bedspreads that matched the existing color of the walls (green), and we didn't have to paint. Then over the months we have added a lot of hot pink to the mix... hot pink sheets, hot pink curtain, hot pink rope lights that we use as a night light, hot pink lamp, small hot pink area rug, etc. 

New bed with new bedspreads, before a lot of hot pink was added.
My older daughter thought it would be neat to paint flowers on the walls, flowers that matched the bedspread. So we did. I started by taking some tissue paper and placing it on the bedspread, and gently tracing the outline of the flowers. I had about four different flowers to choose from, but I picked just three of them. 


I took my tissue paper outlines to work with me, to the university library, and used their ancient opaque machine to enlarge the flowers onto poster board, making sure the flowers were different sizes from one another. I then cut out the flowers, making them my stencils. I used the stencils to draw the flowers onto the walls (I used the white part of my creative memories photo pencil). I grouped three flowers together on one wall, then grouped them again on the opposite wall, but using a different grouping for the second wall. Then we used craft paint and started painting, using colors from the bedspread flowers to match as best we could.

My daughter was SO EXCITED to help paint! And she did a great job.
I think my daughter was a little disappointed at first. She thought we were going to paint LITTLE flowers ALL OVER the walls... all of the walls... completely covering just like on the bedspread. YIKES! I think we'd still be painting to this day! But once we were finished, she was very happy with the outcome.

Wall next to the bed
Opposite wall... and you can see the hot pink polka-dot curtain.
This was so much fun to do with my daughter and my Mom, who came to help us paint. And I love the fact that our artwork will remain on the walls for several years to come, as our choice of bedspread is not something too little girlish that they will outgrow too soon.

"[Jesus] said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.'" Mark 10:14

No comments:

Post a Comment