Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Friday, February 25, 2011

The Great Rocking Chair Makeover

This rocking chair was given to my oldest (let's call her ACH) when she was a baby by some very kind people... purple to match her bedroom and covered in butterfly/ladybug stickers. They put a clear coat over the stickers, but it didn't take very long for some of them to start peeling off. It had been "put away" for several months. I thought about getting rid of it... almost did. But then we decided to give it a makeover to match their bedroom so it could find a new home in there.

before
ACH's original bedroom had become the playroom, and my little one's (MCH) bedroom was now shared by both girls. The walls in there are green, with hot pink accent, and large flowers painted on the walls (a subject for a future blog, I think). So this purple rocking chair needed a makeover to match the "new" bedroom. I started by sanding off as much of the clear coat as I could to remove stickers and smooth the surface to prepare it for a new coat of paint. Hot pink!

with hot pink coat before adding flowers
Then I used soft flower-shaped paint stamps to decorate the chair. The colors in their bedspread include yellow, light pink, light green, and blue, so those are the colors we used to decorate the chair.

I used paint stamps to randomly add flowers of different shape, size, and color

 
I used a stencil to add a little dark green vine here and there
I then finished with a clear coat to protect the finish. So perhaps you have something that you think doesn't fit in your home anymore, but perhaps it just needs a makeover. Then you have something brand new without the cost. The supplies to makeover this rocking chair did not cost very much... just a little craft paint and some stamps.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!  2 Corinthians 5:17

1 comment: